IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 17:37:07 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, Thomas Habets wrote:
>
>> Really.
>
> Exactly. Can we PLEASE kill the myth that Android and iPhone has IPv6
> support for mobile side. PLEASE. None do, and there are no publically
> available roadmaps when this might happen on either OSes.
>
> There are exactly two types of devices (afaik) that support IPv6 for mobile,
> and that's Nokia phones using Symbian and Maemo (afaik only N900).
>
> No other vendor has any IPv6 mobile side support, and even though Microsoft
> did the right thing for IPv6 on Vista and Win7, they've dropped the ball on
> Windows Phone 7 and have no IPv6 support there. I was very disappointed when
> I learnt that fact. I've been told it's to some extent a Qualcomm baseband
> issue. There are also no USB dongles with IPv6 support that I am aware of.

I completely agree with this note from Mikael, but as Joel pointed out
and I have confirmed before, Verizon Wireless does have dual-stack USB
sticks for LTE.   But it is only working on their itty bitty LTE
network ... LTE is still developing a market and the economies of
scale are not there, so things like this happen where small supply
exceeds the growing demand.  I believe the chipset cost for LTE are
around $100 while they are $15 for HSPA ... (foggy memory)

But, LTE is not the issue here.  GSM/UMTS/HSPA+ all support IPv6 just
as well as LTE.  The issue is mobile OSs don't support IPv6 aside from
Nokia.

Mikael and I both have 3G networks with demonstrated IPv6
capabilities, perhaps people should request Google drive Android IPv6
support.  Please point your IPv6 interest here
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3389 and comment and
try and drive the IPv6 support for mobile into Android.

Cameron