IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Feb 12 17:26:31 UTC 2011

On Friday, February 11, 2011 05:33:37 pm Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> So riddle me this - what CPE stuff were they giving out in 2009 that was
> already v6-able? (and actually *tested* as being v6-able, rather than "It's
> supposed to work but since we don't do v6 on the live net, nobody's ever
> actually *tried* it...")

Well, while no one that I know 'gave out' Linksys WRT54G's capable of running OpenWRT or similar (Sveasoft firmware, too), a WRT54G of the right (read: old enough) version can run the IPv6 modules (ipkg's) for OpenWRT, and there was at least one version of the Sveasoft WRT firmware that could do IPv6.

While I have a few WRT54G's lying around, I've never tried IPv6 on them, and would find it interesting if anyone has.

Owen, in particular, should know, because one of the HOWTO's I found was posted on an HE forum.....back in April of 2009.

I found a few other HOWTO's, some in 2006, some in 2005, detailing IPv6 setup for the WRT54G running either Sveasoft or OpenWRT (one was for DD-WRT, and another for Tomato).

Yeah, only the tech-savvy customers will be able to use this, unless the ISP sets up a 'Golden' CPE firmware image and recycles all those WRT54G's into useful things.... and then, of course, the DSL/Cable gateway needs to be in bridge mode.

I'm sure there are other Linux-based firmwares for other CPE that can run Linux and IPv6; they just need enough flash and RAM to do it.  vxWorks boxen, not so sure.  And then there's all the Zoom stuff out there.....

My own Netgear DG834G can, too, with some interesting tinkering involved.

So the firmware is out there to do this, it just requires flashing and configuring.