Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Feb 12 13:59:35 UTC 2011

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 09:02:32 GMT, Adam Atkinson said:

> When I switched to ADSL I'm pretty sure I was offered the choice of a
> single public IP address on the outside of my router, or a /29 public
> range for my home network (and presumably also a public address for the
> external interface of my router). I chose the former and don't regret
> having done so. I can do a mixture of static and dynamic NAT to allow
> things from the outside into particular internal hosts if I want do.
>
> This was in 2005, and I can very well believe this choice was not
> available some time later.

It's more a business question.  If you're an ADSL provider, you probably want
to save "multiple public IP" as a feature so you can upsell customers to
"business class".  There's little business case for doing it by default for Joe
Sixpack (especially in a world where public IP's are getting scarce).

Fortunately, in IPv6 the bit boundaries have moved, so there's no scarcity
issue and "give everybody a /48 (or at least a /56)" is a no-brainer.