IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 21:46:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 01:35:42 -0500, Matthew Moyle-Croft
<mmc at internode.com.au> wrote:
>> Because it is a waste of time and money.
>
> That's an assertion I've heard, but has anyone quantified it? ...

Not that I've ever seen.  All the bitching I've seen here and elsewhere
boils down to it being more involved than sending an email, so they won't
bother.

To be fair, it *is* a lot more work than sending an email.  For starters,
just finding out *who* to email.  Many companies that were given
assignments have been sold or went out of business.  Determining the
proper holder can be as much work as getting the space back.

Given the current state of affairs, getting any legacy holders to hand
over the space is "not going to happen."  That space is now worth more
than anti-matter.  Had they started the process a deacde ago instead of
complaining that it's too much work, not worth it, etc., etc., then some
of it might have been reclaimed by now. (and at current ARIN rates, a /8
is worth ~1.2mil/yr.  on the open market, it's worth much more than that.
esp. since legacy holders don't pay ANYTHING for it.)

--Ricky