IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Henk Uijterwaal henk at ripe.net
Thu Feb 10 07:42:17 UTC 2011

On 10/02/2011 06:15, Ricky Beam wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 16:42:14 -0500, Nathan Eisenberg <nathan at atlasnetworks.us>
> wrote:
>> What do you mean, lit up?  You mean they're not in the routing tables that you
>> get from your carriers?  I'd argue that's no indication of whether they're in
>> use or not.
>
> That's pretty much the definition of "in use".  If they don't appear in the
> global routing table, then they aren't being used.  I cannot send traffic to
> them; they cannot send traffic to me.

I don't think that this is a correct definition.  The question should be if
there is a need for a globally unique number for a device.

> In my recent probe of route servers, I found 22 legacy /8's that were partly or
> completely unused.  I'm a little surprised ARIN/ICANN thinks it's a waste of
> time to even try to reclaim them.

If all 22 /8 that aren't in use would be reclaimed, that would only
postpone the problem by a few years, it would not solve problem that
IPv4 address space is limited and we will, sooner or later, run out.
Reclaiming will take a considerable amount of time and effort from
everybody, I think this is better spent working on a solution that
will solve the problem forever.

Henk

(Speaking for myself, not for my employer).

Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746