IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 10 07:43:53 UTC 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 10:35 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> On 10/02/2011, at 4:39 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>

>> In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1102092156050.16359 at goat.gigo.com>, Jason Fesler wri
>> tes:

>> Because it is a waste of time and money.
>

> That's an assertion I've heard, but has anyone quantified it?   How much time and money would it take?  Has anyone just asked the 22 /8 holders mentioned above nicely if they might just like to give them back for some good publicity?  You know, US DoD migrates to IPv6 and returns X /8s for the good of the American people (assume ARIN) so that broadband might continue to grow and thrive in the land of the free?
>
> MMC

Multiple times.

The most optimistic estimates are on the order of 4 years.

The most optimistic estimates of the return rate are on the order of 6-8 /8s (not the
100% of 22 /8s you are postulating).

The legal expenses would be extreme.

So, for $ALOT and 4 years of effort, you might get back as much as 4 months of
address space.

Next?

Owen