Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Jeff McAdams jeffm at iglou.com
Thu Feb 10 01:49:50 UTC 2011

On 02/09/2011 08:38 PM, George Bonser wrote:
>> If you're not being heard by your vendor, you're not yelling loud
>> enough.

> Or you aren't big enough of a customer.  I was at one manufacturer
> within the past few months and asked about the lack of v6 support at
> layer 3 in one of their product lines as I had an application for that
> line but the lack of v6 layer 3 disqualified that solution.  I was told
> that $HUGE_CUSTOMER had placed $HUGE_ORDER and was needing layer 2
> features as their highest priority and so that is where they were
> focusing right now and that layer 3 ipv6 would be out later this year.

> They did say that it was getting more difficult to sell the gear without
> the layer 3 features and that the "real soon now" excuse was having
> trouble getting any traction with potential customers but right now the
> largest dollar amount of business hinged on layer 2 features.

That's at least an honest and significant answer.  At that point, its up
to you whether you're willing to wait.  At this point, I'm not willing
to, but 2 years ago, I probably would have.

My main point is that, if you're getting answers like, "We don't hear
any customers asking about it." then you need to push harder.  I found
its very easy to ask about IPv6, get that answer, and then ask again in
6 months and still get the same answer.  My response then would be,
"<explitive>, I asked about it 6 months ago, you're just not paying
attention, now get me a product manager on the phone so that I can bend
their ear and make sure that I'm heard this time."

--
Jeff