Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 10 00:10:46 UTC 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 3:16 PM, david raistrick wrote:

>>> And at what point during that time did they have any vendor gear they could purchase that -would- support v6?   At -best- during the last 5 years, but I'd put money on that even today they can't purchase gear with adequate v6 support.
>>>
>> This is largely the result of the fact that they did not demand it from their
>> vendors during that time.
>

> I was purchasing for and building small SP networks during that time.
>
> Requiring v6 of our vendors would have meant we just never got anything, so we'd have never provided service.   Come to think if it, maybe it -would- have been better for everyone involved (except those of us who just got paychecks and experience out of it) to just simply not do it - but we didn't know that at the time 15 years ago!

Requiring it delivered day one, sure. Putting in a requirement for "Will support" so that they are required to provide an upgrade path, OTOH, to me seemed like it was basic good business sense. It worked out pretty well for the organizations I was working for back then. We got upgradeable hardware and the vendors got awareness of the demand. Admittedly, I wasn't working in the last mile arena. However, pressuring vendors is possible without
sacrificing immediate needs.

> Vendor C and J don't provide gear that fits into all network topologies (WISPs, MTU DSL, and smallish ADSL roll outs come to mind, certain during the time period in question.  Sure, they eventually bought products in those markets...but even still, I had sub 6 figure budgets to build with - I certainly had no leverage).

I don't think that networks with sub-6-figure buildouts are the ones we're too worried about right now.
They can probably upgrade for sub-6-figure amounts.

Owen