Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Wed Feb 9 23:47:34 UTC 2011

> > Almost none of the broadband providers in the US NAT their
customers.

> Well, I suppose I have been unlucky then because every single one I
> have
> had has NATed me.  I had a "real" IP when I had dialup, but I got NAT
> when I went broadband.  I have a friend that has another service and
> she
> is NATed too.  Boot up in her network and you get 192.168.1.x

In other words, the broadband provider provides a single global IP to
the "always up" CPE.  That CPE does DHCP to user stations and hands out
1918 addresses and NATs them to the single global IP.

I have had 3 broadband providers over the past 10 years, all three have
done that.  I have a friend on a fourth provider that also does that.

I have yet to see a broadband provider that configures a network so that
individual nodes in the home network get global IPs.