Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Jens Link lists at quux.de
Wed Feb 9 20:33:35 UTC 2011

Jason Bertoch <jason at i6ix.com> writes:

> I'm not sure about your part of the world, but the economy has been
> terrible in mine.  Even in a good economy, DSL margins don't afford the
> ability to replace your network every two years.

Same thing here in Germany. DSL providers fighting for the lowest price
and customers thinking that free service is still too expensive.

> In fact, spending on new gear all but halted for us over the last 6
> years.  While everyone is still figuring out best practices for IPv6
> rollout today, how difficult would it have been to plan and purchase
> the exact equipment that long ago?

Yeah. But they could have made plans and demanded working equipment from
the vendors.

> Was the right equipment even available for a production environment?

No, an in some case it is still not available today.

> Not only that, but cheap CPE equipment that supports IPv6 still hardly
> exists today, and all of that will need replacing.

In Europe: Fritzbox from AVM. Almost all the big vendors have their own
branded version of it. And the latter versions do support IPv6 quite
well.

> In addition, what about IP phones and the customer that just replaced
> their entire phone system?  Are they going to want to do that all over
> again by the end of the year?

You don't have to replace everything at once. But you have to start
somewhere.

> No, IPv6 rollout is going to be extremely expensive and will likely put
> a number of smaller operations out of business.

I know several smaller ISPs which offer IPV6 for years. Sure the eyeball
providers can hardly beat the cheap prices of the big players. But they
do offer individual and good service.

Jens