Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Jason Bertoch jason at i6ix.com
Wed Feb 9 20:09:16 UTC 2011

On 2011/02/09 2:44 PM, Jens Link wrote:
>> IPv6 for some ISPs will be extraordinarily painful because of legacy
>> >  layer 2 gear
> I don't feel sorry for them. We know that IPv6 is coming for how long?
> 15years? 10year? 5years? Well if you only read the mainstream media you
> should have read something about this new Internet thing about two years
> ago. And still many people fear IPv6 or think the can still wait for
> another couple of years.

I'm not sure about your part of the world, but the economy has been
terrible in mine.  Even in a good economy, DSL margins don't afford the
ability to replace your network every two years.  In fact, spending on
new gear all but halted for us over the last 6 years.  While everyone is
still figuring out best practices for IPv6 rollout today, how difficult
would it have been to plan and purchase the exact equipment that long
ago?  Was the right equipment even available for a production environment?

Not only that, but cheap CPE equipment that supports IPv6 still hardly
exists today, and all of that will need replacing.  In addition, what
about IP phones and the customer that just replaced their entire phone
system?  Are they going to want to do that all over again by the end of
the year?

No, IPv6 rollout is going to be extremely expensive and will likely put
a number of smaller operations out of business.

--
/Jason