Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

Dorn Hetzel dorn at hetzel.org
Wed Feb 9 19:59:36 UTC 2011

I don't know.  We're pretty far down the road now, but there might be things
that could have done with NAT/PAT to make them suck less, at least for
eyeball networks.  Just being the devils advocate here.  What if dynamic
address assignment by eyeball ISPs had been modified to allow a "fractional"
IP address reservation.  1/2 IP, 1/4 IP, ..., 1/16 IP, down to maybe 1/256
IP.  Each one would represent a range of ports, dividing up the available
port range in 2^k pieces.  This wouldn't really represent a layer of NAT,
just an agreement by the CPE device to only use a specific range of ports
within the assigned routable IP address (this is the fractional IP part).
 Of course, the upstream router could enforce that port restriction.  The
"low" fraction in each IP would tend to have the standard server ports
available, so one server on standard ports could be accomodated per routable
IP, but eyeball boxes shouldn't care that much, and everybody would have a
fixed port range, so P2P services that are port flexible could still have
ports to map in through.  Ok, it's kind of ugly, but the PC's inside it
wouldn't feel much worse off than they do today.  the CPE could even map
static ports all the way through to pc's on the lan...