IPv6 - a noobs prespective

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Wed Feb 9 18:30:05 UTC 2011

Franck Martin wrote:
> This is dual stack, my recommendation is disable IPv6 on your servers
> (so your clients will still talk to them on IPv4 only), and let your
> client goes IPv6 first. Once you understand what is happening, get on
> IPv6 on your servers.

You don't have to disable IPv6 on the servers, just don't put a AAAA in dns. The simplest way to move forward is to get the entire path in place without the key to knowing is there, then for a few test subjects either provide a different dns response, or distribute a host file. Making the mass change of enabling the servers at the point you expect service to work is just asking for support calls...