Post-Exhaustion-phase "punishment" for early adopters

Lynda shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Tue Feb 8 23:12:09 UTC 2011

On 2/8/2011 2:46 PM, Brandon Butterworth wrote:
>> Before arin etc it was possible to request ip space and on the
>> form specify you would not be connecting to the Internet.
>
> So those off net users can't complain if ARIN allocated the
> same ranges on net. Not that it's worth doing so now.

I hoped I was going to be able to resist answering this. I can't.

There are networks out there that are large, and interconnected, and
using valid, assigned IP addresses, that have never been seen on a
public router. Never will, either. It's more convenient to use real
addresses than 1918 blocks. It works better in the DNS, and it's easier
to wrap your mind around when you're working math problems about how
much to delegate, and where.

Those blocks remain allocated to the original recipients. I just looked
(via whois). They are all still there. I remain amazed that I have them
all still memorized. I guess Alzheimer's hasn't struck yet.

--
Amor fati. Vale. (Seneca)