What's really needed is a routing slot market

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Feb 7 16:47:47 UTC 2011

On 2/7/2011 10:30 AM, William Herrin wrote:
> Ideas like LISP take the former approach. Ideas like SCTP and
> Multipath TCP take the latter. The deployment prospects are not
> promising.

I'm rusty on LISP, but I believe it was designed to solve the DFZ
problem itself, while SCTP and Multipath TCP solve issues such as being
able to change the layer3 address on an existing connection (supporting
rapid renumbering and multipath failover/loadbalancing utilizing
multiple layer 3 addresses (1 per path).

In an ideal world, we'd be using both.

Jack