quietly....

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon Feb 7 00:40:43 UTC 2011

On 2/6/2011 6:13 PM, Joe Abley wrote:

> I'm not sure this is the nightmare people think it will be.
>
> In my (admittedly fairly small-scale) experience with operating v6 on real networks, being able to figure out a prefix from a schema such as
>
>   ARIN:ARIN:SITE:VLAN::/64
>
> makes things a lot easier. Having to remember ...::1, or ...::2, or ...:3 for the statically-numbered routers on the VLAN doesn't exactly make things much harder. Mix in some special cases (e.g. VLAN=0 for loopbacks) and you have a recipe that's pretty trivial to remember.

As an ISP, we reserved the first /48 of several of our /32's for
specific purposes, which makes it even easier. Our helpdesk will be
running ping by number tests (for detecting IPv6 connectivity but DNS
being broken) using:

ARIN:ARIN::/64

Which makes it as easy as IPv4. This was made easier by the fact that
our allocation has no letters.

Jack