"Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sun Feb 6 06:25:04 UTC 2011

John,

On Feb 5, 2011, at 7:33 PM, John Curran wrote:
>>   It does not talk to address space allocated to entities from the IANA or other
>>   registries prior to the RIRs existance.
> Is it your belief that Jon did not intend RFC 2050 to apply to the existing
> allocations maintained by the three regional registries in existence at the
> time (InterNIC, RIPE NCC and APNIC)?

Last I checked, the other four authors of RFC 2050 are still alive.  Why not ask them?

> Further, RFC 2050 states "The transfer of IP addresses from one party to another
> must be approved by the regional registries.  The party trying to obtain the IP
> address must meet the same criteria as if they were requesting an IP address
> directly from the IR."

I'm curious: when HP acquired the assets of Compaq (or when Compaq acquired the assets of Digital), is it your position that  HP (or Compaq) "met the same criteria as if they were requesting an IP address directly from the IR." for 16.0.0.0/8?

Regards,
-drc