quietly....

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Feb 5 13:15:10 UTC 2011

In message <xq1VY4E3BSTNFAjp at perry.co.uk>, Roland Perry writes:
> In article <20110204225150.6FAC49B2854 at drugs.dv.isc.org>, Mark Andrews
> <marka at isc.org> writes
>
> >> But NAT does have the useful (I think) side effect that I don't have to
> >> renumber my network when I change upstream providers - whether that's
> >> once every five years like I just did with my ADSL, or once every time
> >> the new ADSL hiccups[1] now that I have a CPE with 3G failover.
> >>
> >> [1] Seems to be about weekly, so far.
> >
> >And that can be pretty much automated these days.  Windows boxes
> >if you let them will just register their new addresses in the DNS.
> >MacOS also has the ability to do this as well.  You should be asking
> >the other vendors for similar support.
>
> And when my vendor is Sipura, or Sony[1], how does an individual small
> enterprise attract their attention and get the features added?

You return the equipment as not suitable for the advertised purpose
and demand your money back.  Renumbering is expected to occur with
IPv6, part of renumbering is getting the name to address mappings
right.  With DHCP the DHCP server normally does it.  With SLAAC the
host has to do it as there is no other choice.

Here in Australia it is Repair/Replace/Refund if the product purchased
is faulty.  That applies to all products.  If the milk is off when
we get home we go back and get it replaced and if the store is out
of stock we get a refund.  I've returned and had replaced plenty
of stuff over the years.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org