Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Sat Feb 5 01:02:41 UTC 2011

On 2/4/2011 6:45 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

> I used to work for CSIRO.  Their /16's which were got back in the
> late 80's will now be /48's.

That's why I didn't try doing any adjustments of X is the new /32. The
whole paradigm changes. Many ISPs devote large amounts of space to
single corporate network sites. Those sites will now have a single /48.
On the other hand, we currently give /32 to residential customers. They
also are getting a /48.

Which is why the only way to consider address usage from an ISP and RIR
perspective is by how it is handed to a standard ISP of a given size.
Originally, ARIN was being overly restrictive and it was "/32 for every
ISP". They have loosened up, and will continue to do so (including ISP
to ISP) as future proposals come to fruition. So from an ISP
perspective, you have to consider your total IPv6 allocation size
(within the first 32 bits of IPv6) in comparison to your total IPv4
allocations summed.

 From what I can tell, on average, all ISPs are shifting between 8 and
16 bits to the right from their total IPv4 size depending on their
primary customer type (residential ISPs shift less than ISPs that
primarily only service corporations).

Jack