Post-Exhaustion-phase "punishment" for early adopters

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Feb 4 21:45:34 UTC 2011

On Feb 4, 2011, at 3:41 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2011, at 3:39 PM, Daniel Seagraves wrote:
>> On Feb 4, 2011, at 1:11 PM, Bill Woodcock wrote:
>>
>>> No, and in fact, I believe all the RIRs will probably do a reasonably brisk business in reclamation and reallocation, albeit in ever smaller blocks.
>>
>> As holder of a small block, this scares and irritates me. It scares me that I might lose my autonomy and future expansion through no fault of my own, and it irritates me that the reason I may be forced to give up my address space will probably be to satisfy the internet's desperate need for more spam cannons.
>
> If you are using your block, why would you worry?
>
> If not are not using your block, why would you need it?

Likely because some devices still don't implement IPv6 bootstrap.  Try to recover a Cisco router via TFTP boot in an IPv6 only environment.

I have been trying to remind my vendors to think about IPv6 first and IPv4 as a secondary capability to supplement it, I do encourage everyone to make this part of your procurement of any equipment in 2011 and beyond.

eg: If your DNS provider doesn't do IPv6, switch.  (has tucows solved the AAAA glue issue yet?  i think i need to switch... and no, i don't feel like using a hack process via a web form, I actually want real automated interfaces and support...)

- Jared