quietly....

Derek J. Balling dredd at megacity.org
Fri Feb 4 14:05:09 UTC 2011

On Feb 4, 2011, at 7:30 AM, Roland Perry wrote:
>> It isn't "change to", its "add IPv6".
>>
>> I expect to see IPv4 used for years inside homes and enterprises
>> where there is enough IPv4 addresses to meet the internal needs.
>> It's external communication which needs to switch to IPv6.  Internal
>> communication just comes along for the ride.
>
> If people start supplying CPE that are running IPv6 on the outside and IPv4 NAT in the inside, then that would just fine, in the sense that the users (in this case including the self-administrators of these small enterprise networks) won't notice the difference.

I think they'll eventually notice a difference. How will an IPv4-only internal host know what to do with an IPv6 AAAA record it gets from a DNS lookup?

Sure, I think we're a long way off from any "significant sites" being v6-only, but "6-outside-4-inside" CPE will cut those users off from 6-only sites unless the NATing CPE is also doing some really, really, wonky DNS interception and proxying at the same time, and I don't *anyone* wants to see that....