quietly....

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Feb 4 01:50:53 UTC 2011

In message <4D4B51EA.2030301 at brightok.net>, Jack Bates writes:
> On 2/3/2011 6:03 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
> >
> > The protocol was done in December 2003.  Any CPE vendor could have
> > added support anytime in the last 7 years.  Did we really need to
> > specify how to daisy chain PD requests when these vendors have been
> > daisy chaining DHCPv4 for various option without any written
> > specification?
> >
> NAT definitely made it easier. The same can't be said for DHCPv6-PD. And
> yes, replacing NAT with a protocol that will handle dissemination of
> network prefixes deserved having a standards based formula. For CPEs to
> work well, there must be expectations of what will happen in a number of
> scenarios so that they can deal with it. For example, will the CPE just
> hand out /64 networks behind it to other routers? Will it hand out a
> prefix one longer than what it received and increment up until it's out
> of space? How does this work in the myriad of ways home users connect
> things?
>
> Cheap CPE routers have come a long way over the last decade. They are
> probably as close to perfect as you can expect for the price. Now we're
> just starting over to go through the pains of trying to automate home
> routers.
>
> > Seriously. CPE vendors could have release IPv6 capable products
> > that had a stateful firewall, DHCPv6 with prefix delegation 7 years
> > ago.  There was *nothing* stopping them except themselves.
> >
> > People have been retrofitting CPE devices to have this functionality
> > for about as long as this.
>
> Prefix delegation replaces NAT, but there's no standard for how to
> divide it up?

Why does there have to be a standard way to divide it up?  You
fullfill the request if you can or you ask upstream for more, record
the result and add a prefix to the routing table pointing at the
requesting device.  There done.  Even with a /48 you are only going
to get to 64000 routes which these devices should be able to handle.
In practice it will be a lot less.  If you don't have a route you
send upstream.

The ISP doesn't want to have 64000*customers PD leases so it will
return a /48.

This matches what's done with IPv4 and NATs.

This was blindling obvious to me years ago and should have been to
any CPE developer.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org