quietly....

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Feb 3 22:27:56 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Valdis Kletnieks" <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 17:00:55 EST, Jay Ashworth said:
> > Wow. $ANONYMOUS_COMMENTER was right: end-to-end isn't an engineering
> > principle, it's a religion.
[ ... ]
> Seems there's a lot of engineers out there that only want to make sure
> last year's protocols work, and are willing to totally ignore next
> year's.

Perhaps.  But I think a large part of our disconnect here is that there are
lots of backbone-level ops listening to lots of edge-network ops, and failing
to take into account that the latter group has *substantially* different
constraints on their engineering decisions and practices, and that both
groups' limitations are inherent in what they do.

Certainly the backbone has to not mess with stuff.

But that doesn't mean that edge networks should be *forbidden* from imposing
their own restrictions; thos restrictions are (usually) business-based, where
backbone decisions must be more engineering-based.

Cheers,
-- jra