quietly....

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Feb 3 22:00:55 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Valdis Kletnieks" <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>

> Subject: Re: quietly....
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 15:20:25 EST, Lamar Owen said:
> > FTP is a in essence a peer-to-peer protocol, as both ends initiate
> > TCP streams. I know that's nitpicking, but it is true.
>
> Well, it's official - the original end-to-end design principal of the
> Internet is
> dead, deceased, and buried. Henceforth, there will be Clients, and
> there will
> be Servers, and all nodes will be permanently classified as one or the
> other,
> with no changing or intermixing of status allowed.

Wow.  $ANONYMOUS_COMMENTER was right: end-to-end isn't an engineering principle,
it's a religion.

There's nothing inherent in v6 that breaks it, Valdis, just as there was
nothing in v4 that broke it.  Or NAT44.  Or whatever gets deployed for NAT66.

If I, as the party responsible for an *end-user edge site*, decide that
I do not feel the need to support it *all the way through my edge router*,
that is my choice to make.  It only affects *end users under my control*,
and they're my users to make that decision for.

But please don't go on about how the parrot has ceased to be, ok?

Cheers,
-- jra