And so it ends...

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 21:39:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Jeffrey Lyon
<jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net> wrote:
> Pragmatically, compelling the release of a legacy allocation to a
> major company could be difficult, however, if the ARIN community were
> to draft a resolution to reclaim the space it may have a profound
> effect on public sentiment toward those companies.

A best practice doc / resolution would be good.

It's probably most practical for them to renumber into a subset of
their existing space, collapsing down from the whole /8 into a /10 or
something longer, which would free up 75% of that space or more.  A
resolution that made that practice a best practice and that asked that
enterprises give a general utilization report to the public to give an
idea of whether they were close to being able to do that or far from
it seems harmless.

It all depends on what their internal network allocation model has
been all along.  Hopefully sane, but we can't plan on it.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com