quietly....

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Thu Feb 3 16:46:11 UTC 2011

There is also another reason for NAT44 or NAT66 in the corporate world that has been missed in these conversations. It is very common to NAT44 when connected via extranets to another company via an b2b provider such as TNS or BTRadianz. Not everything goes over the net. NAT44 (especially "twice-nat") is used for a number of reasons including limiting of exchange of routing information, routing of different services in different directions via NAT, or to prevent having to contact the other side when a server changes. For example if we are natting one of our FIX servers then the internal machine can change as long as the NAT is updated. This is far simpler than having to get the changes externally especially at some big bank. Also some companies bring internet routes into their core (I still don't know why). In order to route web/email to them via the internet and protocols such as FIX via an extranet, twice-nat is required.

Within similar function in Ipv6, there are a lot of companies, especially in the financial realm, that won't migrate off of ipv4.

NAT is used for a reason, not just because "we don't know better". Yes, we know it breaks certain apps, especially p2p ones. In a corporate view, that is a feature, not a bug. We neither want, nor will allow individual desktops to become peers. Only a limited number of dedicated servers have external visibility, and that's the way it's going to stay regardless of ipv6 ideology.