quietly....

Chris Owen owenc at hubris.net
Thu Feb 3 00:56:10 UTC 2011

On Feb 2, 2011, at 3:09 PM, david raistrick wrote:

> At least in ARIN territory, if you're multihomed, and you can show in-1-year use of 50% of a (v4) /24, you qualify for a PI v6 /48.

One of the things I find frustrating about this is the cost of the space.   We're a very small shop and to add IPv6 addresses for testing now we're looking at paying another $2,200 a year ($1,700 in the first year) when it will probably be some time before we actually _need_ the addresses.   The waivers a few years were a nice start but why does the cost need to double ever?

It isn't like ARIN needs the money, they have more than they can spend.   Once we are a "member" and have IPv4 space, the marginal cost to ARIN of assigning the equivalent in IPv6 space is pretty close to zero.   Maybe some sort of NRC but doubling the annual cost just doesn't make sense.

At least with IPv4 you can make the argument that the cost is artificially high to control usage but with IPv6 there are no more scarcity issues.

I'd love to add IPv6 to the network but it just rubs me the wrong way to have to pay $2,220 a year to do so for something that essentially has no cost.  I can't imagine having to justify it to a bean counter.

Chris

Chris Owen         - Garden City (620) 275-1900 -  Lottery (noun):
President          - Wichita     (316) 858-3000 -    A stupidity tax
Hubris Communications Inc      www.hubris.net