quietly....

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Feb 2 23:03:06 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, February 02, 2011 05:04:33 pm Mark Andrews wrote:
> They didn't fail.  They were designed to complement each other.  It
> just that somewhere along the way people forgot that.

My engineer brain looks at it this way:
"The better is the enemy of the good." (Voltaire: "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.").

I remember thinking back in my NetWare 2.x days that this thing called IP just needed the simplicity of IPX, with its native Layer 3 use of the MAC address..... boy, was I naive back then.  Bridged ethernet across 56K leased lines with NetWare servers at the other end....  3Com NetBuilders, and Vitalink's TransLAN III Bridges, I think.  Been a long time.  The TransLAN III device did the AUI interface to the 10Base5 LAN segments, IIRC.