quietly....

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Feb 2 21:51:45 UTC 2011

In message <alpine.LSU.2.00.1102021423590.5244 at hermes-1.csi.cam.ac.uk>, Tony Fi
nch writes:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> >
> > But there's so much wrong with DHCPv6 that trying to fix it is pretty
> > much useless, we need to abandon DHCP and start from scratch. Good thing
> > IPv6 works just fine without DHCPv6.
>
> Yeah, no-one needs to dynamically find out their local recursive name
> server or NTP server or network boot server.
>
> Tony.

DHCP was supposed to be use *with* RA's.  Whether the network used
managed address assignment or used SLAAC.  The two were designed
to complement each other.  DNS and NTP server details were always
supposed to be learned via DHCP.  Similarly you were supposed to
remember the prefix length before when kicking off the dhcp client
with a managed network.  Most of the problems seen are the result
of not properly integrating the two parts.

Somewhere along the way this was forgotten.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org