quietly....

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 20:15:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:
> On 2 feb 2011, at 17:14, Dave Israel wrote:
>
>>> I understand people use DHCP for lots of stuff today. But that's mainly because DHCP is there, not because it's the best possible way to get that particular job done.
>
>> So what if I want to assign different people to different resolvers by policy?
>
> For the record: I'm not saying that DHCPv6 is never useful. DHCPv6 is intended as a stateful configuration provisioning tool, i.e., to give different hosts different configurations. If that's what you need then DHCP fits the bill. However, in most small scale environments this is not what's needed so DHCP doesn't fit the bill.

There are all sized enivronments.  Political battles having partly
crippled DHCPv6 in ways that end up significantly limiting IPv6 uptake
into large enterprise organizations ... it's hard to describe how
frustrating this is without resorting to thrown fragile objects
against hard walls.  As an active consultant to medium and large
enterprises, this is driving me nuts.

This single item is in my estimation contributing at least 6, perhaps
12 months to the worldwide average delay in IPv6 uptake.  I know
several organizations that would have been there six months ago had
DHCPv6 not had this flaw.  They're currently 6-12 months from getting
there.

This was predicted.  That the right people didn't believe it suggests
that perhaps the right people are the wrong people.

> Also, the examples mentioned are about enterprise networks with stable systems. Here, DHCP works well. However, with systems that connect to different networks, things don't always work so well. I may want to use the DHCP-provided NTP servers at work, but syncing with a random NTP server when I connect to a wifi hotspot is not such a great idea.

That's a problem with insufficiently configurable network location
profiles on your OS (not having a "listen to DHCP NTP here, but not
elsewhere" button).

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com