quietly....

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 16:14:58 UTC 2011

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch at muada.com>
>I understand people use DHCP for lots of stuff today. But that's mainly because
>DHCP is there, not because it's the best possible way >to get that particular
>job done.

I don't particularly care whether DHCP is the *best* way to get some particular
job done; I care that it is a well-known, well-understood way of *getting* the
job done, and lots of operational work, development, and process has gone into
making DHCP do this well, reliably, and scalably.  The problem with DHCPv6 is
that it doesn't do nearly enough when compared to DHCPv4, and there are not in
fact any good alternatives.  The insistence on RA, along with a handwaving
dismissal of all of those folks who have a high reliance on DHCP has done a
tremendous disservice to the uptake of IPv6.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock? Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com