quietly....

Rene Wilhelm wilhelm at ripe.net
Wed Feb 2 10:57:43 UTC 2011

On 2/2/11 10:29 AM, Geoff Huston wrote:
>> Are there any expectations of a Gold Rush for the remaining addresses?  I would expect to see at least see some kind of escalation.
>>
> This question probably calls for another picture.
>
> Here is a plot of 2009 and 2010 in terms of the average number of IPv4 addresses allocated on a daily basis, across all 5 RIRs. I've used a smoothing function across the allocation data in order to clearly show the trend pattern over the two year period.
>
> http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/daily-allocs.jpg
>

>    Geoff

We published a similar graph on RIPE Labs last friday. It shows the  6
months rolling average allocation rate for each RIR  (in units of /8s
per month). APNIC's allocation rate has been on a steady rise since
2008. After coming down in 2009/2010, the average rates in ARIN and RIPE
have gone up again recently. Could be the first signs of a gold rush, or
just a coincidence.

https://labs.ripe.net/Members/wilhelm/images/IPv4RatesPerRIR.png

-- Rene