ipv4's last graph

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Feb 2 06:27:14 UTC 2011

On 2/1/11 1:08 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
>> FWIW: the Jan. 2011 global burn rate (outbound from the RIRs) for
>> /24-equivlents was 18.97 seconds. At the Jan. rate, APnic won't last
>> to June and Ripe might make to the end of August, then chaos ensues.
>
> this is not the murdoch press or fox news.  i very much doubt chaos will
> ensue.  our job is to see that chaos does not ensue.  you will learn to
> love nat444 :)

the aportionment of scarce resources though market signals whether
direct or indirect is actually something humans are rather good at
despite the occasional failure.

the engineer is the person who given the available resources comes with
a workable solution.

>> Is there really any value in trying to distribute graphs that will all
>> be flat before the end of the year?
>
> we're ops, often stick in the mud traditionalists and even somewhat
> supersitious.  we've had ipv4 graphs for over 15 years.  we like them.
> geoff is mr graph.  we like his grphs.  heck, you have even used them.

the prboability distribution with the error bars is a pretty useful tool
to throw over the wall to management so that they know how long they
have to get their affairs in order.