Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

Bill Stewart nonobvious at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 01:37:55 UTC 2011

On 2/1/11, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
> What would your recommended solution be then for disconnected
> networks?  Every home user and enterprise user requests GUA directly
> from their RIR/NIR/LIR at a cost of hunderds of dollars per year or
> more?

A typical home user will have a /56 of GUA, or maybe a /48 with some
ISPs.  Anybody who knows enough to figure out how to set a ULA can
figure out a /64 from their GUA space that's not being auto-assigned
by one of their various home routers.  So if that's the way you want
to do things, it won't cost you or your ISP anything.

If your ISP is only assigning you a /64 of GUA, that's another story.

--
----
             Thanks;     Bill

Note that this isn't my regular email account - It's still experimental so far.
And Google probably logs and indexes everything you send it.