A top-down RPKI model a threat to human freedom? (was Re: Level 3's IRR Database)

Martin Millnert millnert at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 23:58:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Carlos M. Martinez
<carlosm3011 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Although I support Rpki as a technology, there are legitimate concerns that it could be abused. I now believe that Rpki needs work in this area at IETF level so the concerns are adressed.
>
> I imagine some form of secret sharing among different parties or sme form of key escrow. I am sure that it is not an easy problem, but maybe some progress can be made in this direction.

Right.  To preserve the integrity of the system it is rather necessary
that multiple parties must agree to do some changes to it.   This is
in many ways of course a very hard thing to do, but there are a lot of
good people out there with a much better understanding of cryptography
and real information security than I, who definitely should look into
this.  Unless there already is a problem statement covering this
problem, perhaps we should make one.

Perhaps it is impossible to combine an easily managed system with a
totally secure and robust routing infrastructure.

At any rate, I consider censorship a failure of information routing.
Any secure and robust routing infrastructure will not invite more
censorship.

Regards,
Martin