quietly....

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Feb 1 00:49:18 UTC 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Jeremy wrote:

> Has there been any discussion about allocating the Class E blocks? If this
> doesn't count as "future use" what does? (Yes, I realize this doesn't *fix*
> the problem here)

I think it has been discussed at various levels, but would likely have
been dismissed for one or more of the following reasons:
1. A lot of people filter packets and/or prefixes 224/3 or 240/4 out of
habit, right, wrong, or otherwise, so space from 240/4 is likely to have
lots of reachability problems.

2. The effort expended by people to solve reachability problems from space
they'd get out of 240/4 would be better put toward moving to v6.

3. Busting out 16 more /8s only delays the IPv4 endgame by about a year.

jms