quietly....

Martin Millnert millnert at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 05:00:08 UTC 2011

Jeremy,

I have not heard of any IP stack that is built to accept 240/4.
Neither Linux 2.6.37 nor Windows 7 accepts it, and let's not think
about all routers, including CPE:s, out there.
The logic goes:
You are many orders of magnitudes more likely to get v6 off the
ground, than 240/4 or 224/4 as unicast IPv4.  224/3 will never be very
usable as public v4 space since every non-upgraded host on the
Internet will be unable to send packets to them, eg, for every
additional host you introduce with these addresses the worse the
reachability situation becomes for the v4 Internet. Notably, this is
the inverse of what happens when you introduce more hosts with native,
proper IPv6, in the IPv6-Internet.

Cheers,
Martin