Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

Joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Dec 30 19:42:02 UTC 2011

On 12/30/11 08:47 , Kevin Loch wrote:

> It is very common to have different "routers" (routers, firewalls or
> load balancers) on the same vlan with different functions in hosting
> environments.  It is also sometimes necessary to have multiple default
> gateways on the same vlan for load balancing or traffic engineering.
> RA/auto configuration is incompatible with all but the most trivial
> configurations.

As someone with rather abundant experience with both vrrp6 and multiple
RAs per subnet I'm going to have to disagree with your there. it's not
incompatible with the all but the most trivial configurations, you're
distinguishing between default and non-default behavior. much as in ipv4
I may have a distinction between statically configured hosts, hosts
which have a static configuration derived from dhcp and those with a
dynamically generated configuration derived from dhcp.

The static configured resources can happily coexist on a network where
dynamically configured devices have diffrent default behavior.