next-best-transport! down with ethernet!

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Thu Dec 29 20:06:51 UTC 2011

If I am not mistaken the IETF efforts to standardize the TRILL spec, and IEEE efforts to standardize the DCB spec will provide the desired features to Ethernet: lossless delivery, QoS, and bringing an IS-IS layer 3 model to layer 2. I think Cisco has a pre TRILL/DCB standards feature set called Fabricpath, and Brocade has a feature set called VCS.

Both, I think, will converge Ethernet data and Fibre Channel over the same wire.