IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Dec 23 20:36:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 21:19:25 +0100, Tomas Podermanski said:

> It sounds good, but according to  RFC 6434 ( IPv6 Node Requirements)
> SLAAC is required, but DHCPv6 is only optional. So any manufacturer of
> operating systems or devices do not have to support DHCPv6.

Strictly speaking, they don't *have* to support IPv6 at all.  And until
very recently, there was very little market incentive for them to do so.

You want DHCPv6 support? It happens in one of two ways:

1) Deploy it yourself using open-source pieces.
2) You tell the vendor "You ship DHCPv6 or we'll find another solution that has it".

It's been that way since the big players were Bay and Proteon, not Cisco and Juniper. ;)