Well Lookie Here, Barracuda Networks tries to get me to fall into their trap again...

Jeremy Parr jeremyparr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 21:54:13 UTC 2011

On 22 December 2011 14:07, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:

> Presumably, Barracuda's hardware is i386/i686 compatible commodity parts.
> It's probably not at all "useless".  Just attach a USB DVD drive or USB
> flash drive, wipe the disk(s) and install your favorite Linux distro.
> It may take some doing to get all/most of the features Barracuda provides
> setup on your own...but if you don't have the time/expertise to do it,
> that's why companies like Barracuda exist.

The hardware Barracuda charges you a very pretty penny for is very low end.
$3000 or so that they charge for a mid-level spam filters gets you a single
power supply, single hard disk, and a low end processor.

According to their site it does appear they offer the product as VM image.
This would eliminate the stupid hardware markup and their attempt at
backdating updates.