BGP and Firewalls...

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Dec 8 04:50:43 UTC 2011

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011, Cameron Byrne wrote:

> On a personal note , it is one of my least favorite terms because it is
> overused and generally used by people selling things, and defense in depth
> means throw eveything and the kitchen sink at the problem instead of
> matching threats / risks / vulnerabilities with security controls and
> threat mitigation and management.

It's something that is used all too often as a handy verbal crutch in
sales pitches.  I'm wondering how long it is before the text below is lifted
verbatim and put into some vendors' sales/marketing materials.

"Our security products are truly best-of-breed - we take defense in depth
to a whole new level that none of our competitors can match.  We have the
breadth and depth of knowledge and a proven track record in the security
space to exceed our customers' expectations and deliver the optimum user
experience.  We can leverage the synergies and cohesion that exist across
our product line to tailor a set of deliverables to meet virtually any need."

*ducks* ;)

jms