Overall Netflix bandwidth usage numbers on a network?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Dec 7 16:57:13 UTC 2011

Yeah, that's an interesting one. We currently utilize netflow for this,
but you also need to consider that netflix streaming is just port 80 www
traffic. Because netflix uses CDNs, its difficult to pin down the
traffic to specific hosts in the CDN and say that this traffic was
netflix, while this traffic was the latest windows update (remember this
is often a shared hosting platform). We've done our own testing and have
come to a good solution which uses a combination of nbar, packet
marking, and netflow to come to a conclusion. On a ~160Mbps link,
netflix peaks out between 30-50Mbps around 8-10PM each evening. The rest
of the traffic is predominantly other forms of HTTP traffic (including
other video streaming services).