Link local for P-t-P links? (Was: IPv6 prefixes longer then /64: are they possible in DOCSIS networks?)

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Thu Dec 1 02:40:16 UTC 2011

On 1 December 2011 02:22, Ray Soucy <rps at maine.edu> wrote:
> I for one get really irritated when my traceroutes and pings are
> broken and I need to troubleshoot things. ;-)  But I guess something
> has to give.

My home connection gets IPv6 connectivity via a tunnelbroker tunnel, i
didn't use the "tunnel interface" addresses in the instructions but
configured it without addresses, traceroutes (in all directions) show
up with the routers single assigned global address.

Routers would still have a single global address assigned to loopback
(or anywhere) for management/packet generation purposes so traceroutes
should work fine, although rather than getting a per-interface address
you'll get a per-router address. What addresses do you currently get
in the real world? some routers give a loopback address, some give the
ingress interface, some give the egress interface, all you can safely
assume from the address is the router it hit.

- Mike