New Natural Disaster! 8/27/2011 Hurricane Irene

Alex Rubenstein alex at corp.nac.net
Mon Aug 29 18:33:25 UTC 2011

Yeah, I was going to respond to the original post but can't find it.

The statement made by Mr. Wallace borders on insulting. The devastation in my county alone is something I have never seen. Thousands of houses destroyed, tens of thousands displaced. Businesses completely wiped out. A major thoroughfare (intersate 287 in Parsippany / Boonton) washed away:

http://photos.nj.com/4504/gallery/part_of_287_north_collapses_after_hurricane_irene_/index.html

This is major connector carrying tens of thousands of cars per day. The impact will be very severe to our region.

NJ power company JCPL, which only covers a small part of the state, has 380,000 customers affected. There are wires burning peoples yards and houses down.

So, if a normal day of living in Scotland means floods, people dying, freeways disappearing, mandatory evacuations, and everything else that I have dealt with in the last 48 hours, thank god I am not there.

Check out the level recently, versus the "record" in 1979:
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=phi&gage=bonn4&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0

The main reason for the impact was because we had already had one of the wettest months of August on record.

Give me a couple days, I will have some photos and movies up.