Level 3 Peering Guidelines

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sun Aug 28 19:51:05 UTC 2011

In a message written on Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 09:32:00PM -0400, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> Why is that any different than forcing businesses to explain which links are paid?  Or any other internal data?  Private businesses are private.  Their relationships with other private businesses are private.  Saying some data should be public while others are not is arbitrary.

It is, but it's also in the effort of allowing consumers to be
informed.  Why do we require food items to list the ingredients?
Why do public companies have to disclose particular events to the
SEC?  Why do car companies have to list the MPG on their cars?

The FCC is very interested right now in finding out if when ISP X
says "your service is 16M down" you can get 16M.  Peering has an
impact on that.  If I have a 16M service, and every single pering
link they have is flatlined 10 hours a day I won't be able to get
16M down for those 10 hours.