East Coast Earthquake 8-23-2011

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Aug 23 22:54:15 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 06:13:02 PM William Herrin wrote:
> B. The crust on the east coast is much more solid than on the west
> coast, so the seismic waves propagate much further. Los Angeles
> doesn't feel an earthquake north of San Francisco unless it's huge.
> New York City felt this earthquake near Richmond VA. So yes, we're
> seeing relatively minor damage... but we're seeing it over a much
> wider area than someone in California would.

We felt it, and it overloaded our seismometer, too.  The link to the trace is at:
http://www.pari.edu/about_pari/pari-photos/archived-photos/miscellaneous/august-23-2011-richmond-earthquake/ch1-virginia-quake-20110823-1.jpg/view

Live data is at:
http://www.pari.edu/telescopes/geoscience/seismic-readings/readings/

Film at 11 (and 10; local TV station came by and interviewed....).

We're 300+ miles away from the epicenter.

At the time I wondered if anything near the IX's in that area might be impacted, almost posted about it, and figured that anyone who actually knew would be too busy to talk about it....