What do you do when your Home ISP is down?

John Adams jna at retina.net
Thu Aug 18 18:59:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Mark Keymer <mark at viviotech.net> wrote:

> I am wondering what some of you guys do when your home ISP is down. At
> least those of you that don't give yourself internet.

I have a couple of solutions to this problem.

1) I've got a backup Verizon 4G LTE modem giving out wifi. When the DSL goes
down, I have code that will switch the house over to 4G LTE.

2) The DSL circuit is monitored by a set of scripts, and it's modems and
associated switches are tied into an RPC (Remote Power Controller.) If the
circuit fails to pass traffic, my scripts will walk the entire network
(routers, switches, servers) as a admin would trying to find the bad device.
If a device is unresponsive, it reboots it. If the provider's DSLAM dies, my
DSL modem will just sit there and power cycle over and over again until
their DSLAM returns.

If you want it, python code to control a baytech rpc is here:
https://github.com/netik/rpc3control

-john