What do you do when your Home ISP is down?

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Thu Aug 18 18:21:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:17:07AM -0700, Jeff Johnstone wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Mark Keymer <mark at viviotech.net> wrote:
>
> > I am wondering what some of you guys do when your home ISP is down. At
> > least those of you that don't give yourself internet.
> > <snip>
> > I know we have a wide range of people here some of which work for my
> > Home ISP. and would love some feedback.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Mark Keymer
> >

> I've had great  luck by working through the system a couple of times until
> reaching a level 3 or 4 tech and then working things through. If you work
> with them, have them make a note on your account that acknowledges your
> technical skills and lets you bypass front line staff. I almost never get
> stuck talking to front line staff anymore, and I know my feedback has been
> helpful in problem resolution more than a few times :)
>
> Get to know the techs, best solution, but it takes perseverance the first
> few times.

+1.

I find it unfortunate that I've _had_ the opportunity to get to know the
helldesk and local techs. People have a bad habit of taking overheight
trucks down the street just behind my house, pulling the drop down from
one of the two poles that theoretically support it at each end.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin