What do you do when your Home ISP is down?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Aug 18 17:38:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Mark Keymer <mark at viviotech.net> wrote:
> I myself have a cable provider at home that I use. And I find it quite
> frustrating to call and report issues in there network, because the
> people in the call center have you do the same things every time and are
> not very technical.

Mark,

You think you have it bad? A couple years ago I called my cable
Internet provider when my line broke. I won't name them because they
since changed their system to something more intelligent. Anyway, the
phone tree forced you to go through automated diagnosis before if
would connect you to a live person.

The system was in a funky state where it thought it saw my modem but
didn't. So, for 45 minutes I was stuck in a computer-automated loop of
"Power cycle your modem. Okay I see your modem. Your modem isn't
working. Power cycle your modem."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004